Time is TBD|
Spring Refugee Encounter: Bridging the Distance
Join us in spreading awareness to the refugee crises continuing to unfold in Jordan. This experience fosters understand to the real-world challenges refugees experience upon cultural assimilation, and preparation with the knowledge and tools to become more empathetic and active global citizens.
Time & Location
Time is TBD
Amman, Amman, Jordan
About the event
About the Experience:
- Build relationships with refugee families. Meet and befriend refugees of various ages like young Sirin Hamada, illustrator of Dear Tariq. Refine your empathy interview skills as you listen to the stories of refugees. Begin to understand their needs and hopes as a healing community from various vantage points.
- Work with Arabic translators. Learn about the Arabic language and its linguistic and cultural nuances.
- Meet refugee advocacy leading NGOs and organizations like the Syrian American Medical Society, the SAMS Psychosocial PSS Center in Irbid, the Ezwetti Initiative, We Love Reading, etc. Learn about their work and advocacy opportunities.
- Experience Syrian and Jordanian cultures. Become immersed in rich cultural nuances while visiting people’s homes as well as discovering ancient wonders like Petra, Wadi Rum, or the Dead Sea.
- Collaborate on a service initiative in the greater community that benefits refugees and their families.
- Experiment with various modes of note-taking, reflective journaling, and creative writing techniques as you travel to meet refugee communities and process your experiences.
- Learn how to embrace ambiguity, discomfort, adaptability, and a servant leadership mindset.
- At the end of the encounter, we will consolidate (permissions permitting) video footage, photographs, and student quotes to create one or more inspiring social media testimonials that seek to advocate on behalf of refugees. Collectively brainstorm ways to spearhead creative advocacy endeavors within your own local communities and beyond.
MEET YOUR GUIDES:
(create this as a landing page.....)